Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Lament Of A Heart- Ghalib

No foreword or introduction is necessary for the ballad of a broken heart. Ghazals, too think of it, were created only to assuage just this pain, and ghalib's kalaam has more than helped lay lovers in putting words to feeling.
This Ghazal is portrayed brilliantly on Neena Gupta, in Gulzar's teleserial , Mirza Ghalib. The video can be found here: Please traverse to time, 3:30 for the ghazal.

The transliteration and the translation provided below, id from the book, Mirza Ghalib: A biographical scenario by Gulzar.

Transliteration:

Kisi ko deke dil koi navasanj-e-fughan kyun ho?

Na ho jab dil hi seene me, to phir munh me zaban kyun ho?

Yahi hai aazmana toh, satana kis ko kehte hain
adu ke ho liye jab tum, toh mera intihan kyun ho.

Qafas mein mujhe se rudad-e-chaman kehte na dar hamdum
Giri hai jis pe kal bijli, woh mera aashiyan kyun ho.

Wafa kaisi? Kahan ka ishq? jab sar phorna thehra.
To phir, ae sang-dil, tera sang-e aastan kyun ho.

Translation:
By: Gulzar
( A few changes in words is by me, and I accept the mistakes if any)

Why must you lament after you give away your heart?
If the heart is already lost, Why must the tongue wail?

If this your test, What must your torment be?
If you change your allegiance over to my rival, why this trial?

Don't be scared to tell a caged me, the state of the garden
why must the nestle be mine, where a lightning struck last night.

If I need bang my head, talk not of fate, of love.
and why must it be at your threshold, at your petrified heart.

No comments: